BY JERRY WEBBER

by Jerry Webber
Bella Vista, AR, USA

Sunday, December 15, 2019

Third Sunday of Advent - December 15, 2019

Matthew 11:2-11


When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

As John’s disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes are in kings’ palaces. Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is written:

“‘I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way before you.’

Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."



I love that the Gospels are not afraid to show us how wrong John was about Jesus.

“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.” (Matt. 3:11-12)

John believed Jesus was bringing fire, a winnowing fork (that never sounds good!) to clear the chaff, and a burning fire to consume those who were not “right with God.”

John taught from a place of strict asceticism. He advocated a conspicuous morality, a kind of works righteousness, and believed the Messiah would come to sift the wheat and chaff, judging people on a strict moral standard.

The Gospels writers don’t have to tell us John got it wrong. They only have to let us read the stories . . . to hold up together what John said about Jesus on one hand, and then how Jesus actually lived in the world and related to people on the other hand.
The Gospels trust us to get it. John preached hell-fire and said the Messiah would do the same. But that’s not who Jesus was.
So in today’s text, John is confused. Imprisoned, he recognizes that either he got it wrong on the Messiah or else Jesus was not actually the Messiah. He has to ask, “Are you the one coming or shall we look for another?” Jesus didn’t line up with John’s expectations. Something had to give.

It’s notable that John is in prison as this consideration takes place. As is often the case with humans, this kind of crisis setting causes him to reevaluate his belief system. We hold in our hands the things we have believed and clung to for a lifetime, but no longer does the system seem fail-safe. We ask ourselves Dr. Phil’s question: “How’s that workin’ out for ya?”

I know the question well because I’ve often muttered it in life, suddenly recognizing that what I have believed and clutched about God, life, others, and myself is not really working for me. I’ve held a belief that a spiritual mentor gave me . . . I’ve clung to a notion about life rooted in a stereotype . . . I’ve thought of myself according to a script others have given me. From my own “prisons” I’ve begun to ask questions, to find my own faith, to have some sense of what I believe apart from what others have wanted me to believe.

When John the Baptist got it wrong, he did this difficult work of inner examination . . . the same work you and I must do it we are to become the people God created us to be.

• Remember something you believed as a child or an adolescent you no longer believe as an adult.

• Have you ever come to a crisis moment when you had to honestly ask yourself, “How’s that workin’ for ya?” When was that? What was the outcome?


No comments:

Post a Comment