BY JERRY WEBBER

by Jerry Webber
Bella Vista, AR, USA

Thursday, December 5, 2019

First Thursday of Advent - December 5, 2019

Isaiah 26:1-6


On that day this song will be sung in the land of Judah:
We have a strong city;
he sets up victory
like walls and bulwarks.
Open the gates,
so that the righteous nation that keeps faith
may enter in.
Those of steadfast mind you keep in peace—
in peace because they trust in you.
Trust in the LORD forever,
for in the LORD GOD
you have an everlasting rock.
For he has brought low
the inhabitants of the height;
the lofty city he lays low.
He lays it low to the ground,
casts it to the dust.
The foot tramples it,
the feet of the poor,
the steps of the needy.



• As is often the case in Isaiah, the passage begins, “On that day . . .” which signals the coming intervention of God. “On that day this song will be sung.” Is this the day? Is today the awaited day to sing a song of justice, a song of celebration, a song of liberation? If today I saw what I have never seen before, would I sing?

• The passage is about cities and nations, communities who do right, who make peace peaceably, who strive for justice and speak for those underneath structures of power.

• To what communities do I belong? With what kingdoms (the country into which I was born, the clubs I have chosen, the orders I choose to follow, the relationships I choose to cultivate, etc.) do I align myself?

• If I think about the many communities of which I am a part (from nation all the way down to intimate friendships), which are “righteous” communities (doing right by all people)? Do these communities keep faith? Do they encourage faith? Do they keep the peace in a peaceable way (i.e., not warring in order to make some form of “peace”)?

No comments:

Post a Comment