BY JERRY WEBBER

by Jerry Webber
Bella Vista, AR, USA

Saturday, December 3, 2011

The First Saturday of Advent -- December 3, 2011

Matthew 9:35 - 10:1, 6 - 8

Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.

These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."



The harvest is plentiful, Jesus said, but the workers are few.

So I ask in my prayer this morning, "What is the harvest in my life?"

"Where is the harvest in my life-world?"

And then, "How am I invited to step into that harvest? What do I have that could make some impact on that harvest?"

I think of the lives of some people with whom I have the privilege of walking this journey, and especially those who are at significant crossroads. The planting and cultivating seasons have been long and drawn out, and now it seems to be harvest time. How am I invited to step into harvest with them?

I think of the harvests in my work . . . not always easily seen or readily apparent, but present, nonetheless. The holy can get lost in the mundane, and sometimes in the ridiculous. But there are harvests there, as well.

I consider harvests in relationships . . . family and friends and some new relationships . . . and ask, "What is my place in that harvest?"

My mind goes to those who are facing challenges related to health or vocation or relationship. Some are grieving the loss of a loved one, and their grief is still fresh . . . they are entering a period of a different kind of harvest. Will there be workers for those harvests? Am I "sent" to be one of the workers?

I pray for the attentiveness to hear my name when God calls, and for the openness and availability to go as I am sent, and for the courage to trust the resources God has given me for harvest.




No comments:

Post a Comment